Friday, October 24, 2014

New Arrivals: Elijah Craig Barrel Proof and Col. E.H. Taylor Jr. Barrel Proof

Hey hey hey,

A couple big time Fall releases just showed up at our doorstep: Elijah Craig Barrel Proof and E.H. Taylor Barrel Proof.  This is the sixth release of the ECBP, and it clocks in at a whopping 140.2 proof (70.1%), earning the nickname "HAZMAT."  Hopefully you don't plan on taking it on any airplanes, because that is a no go!  The E.H. Taylor BP is no slouch either at 129 proof (64.5%), and is rarely seen on any store's shelves (even ours).  If you're a fan of really strong bourbons, these two shan't be missed.  Cheers!


Monday, October 6, 2014

New Arrivals: Ardbeg Super Nova and Highland Park Dark Origins!

Hey All,

Shhhhhhhhh, it's a secret. Okay I guess technically it's not a secret any more. But if you want a shot at either of these two single malts you'll probably want to keep it to yourself. First off one of the most sought after releases of all time, Ardbeg Super Nova, has finally made its way back to Healthy Spirits. For years and years Dr. Bill, Master Distiller of Glenmorangie and Ardbeg, has adamantly said he would never make Super Nova again. He always told me it reduced his ability to keep the peatiness of the regular line up as high as it could go. It was a reasonable explanation but the high demand for the second peatiest whisky in the world made me always have to ask him. Not only is this heavenly whisky finally making an encore but this time its got more sherry influence making it rich and decadent in addition to being bold and intense. Like before it's bottled at cask strength clocking in at a robust 55% alcohol (110 proof).

Dark Origins is a new offering from Highland Park but unfortunately, as with so many limited offerings, they decided to make it available on premise only. Meaning the only place you could get it is at bars and restaurants. By the glass only, so you're basically out of luck if you wanted a bottle. Through a clever loop hole Healthy Spirits was able to obtain a few bottles. They won't last for long, and are only available at the Castro shop. Dark Origins is a little peatier than the regular line and is aged in "double first fill sherry casks for a naturally darker, richer flavor", so there's that.

These are some of the best new single malts on the market, if you want em grab em fast! Cheers


New Arrivals: Amador Barrel Strength Bourbon and Rye!

Hey All,

So if you weren't already aware, we love Amador Distillery! I've personally had the pleasure of seeing my friend Adam's dreams come to fruition. From brainstorming with him about the idea of starting a distillery, to talking about how products are coming along over the years, to even throwing our suggestions on label design, I've been fortunate to see a brand that holds a special place in my heart grow and flourish. A couple months ago we had the privilege of picking out a very special barrel, which sold out much quicker then we anticipated. Fortunately Adam has decided to offer some similarly awesome whiskies in the form of a barrel strength bourbon and rye. These are older then a lot of other offerings on the market with the bourbon clocking in around 7 years old, having an incredible amount of depth and spice, and the rye coming in around 3-4 years, perfect balance between vibrant spice and just enough oak for a rounded finish.

I can't say enough good things about these whiskies, if you're a fan of Willett Family Estate or Four Roses Private Selection Cask Strength you'll wanna give these a go. Your Welcome.


New Arrivals: Colorado Gold Bourbon and Rye

Hey All,

With refreshing new packaging, older stocks of bourbon and a brand new rye, Colorado Gold Distillery seems to be finally hitting its stride. We've always been big fans of the distillery, and even bought a barrel a few years back that was featured in Bourbon Club. The bourbon drinks like a wheater, although I'm told there's a touch of rye in addition to the corn, wheat and barley in the mashbill. It's aged 3 years (a year older then previous releases) in new charred oak and bottled as a single barrel at 45% (90 proof). The rye whiskey I'm told, has a mashbill of 95% rye, likely meaning the other 5% is barley. While that usually warrants red flags that the juice may be sourced from MGP, I've been assured the whiskey is in fact made in Colorado with local Colorado grains. Its also bottled as a single barrel at 45% (90 proof). And one of the best parts, they're using full size 53 gallon barrels, meaning no small barrel flavors here.

 These are some of the best whiskies coming out of Colorado, give em a try if you get a chance. Cheers!